Child and adolescent therapy or counseling is a process that’s designed to help children, adolescents, and their families overcome the challenges of modern adolescence. It’s important to note that child and adolescent therapy (CAT) is different from other types of therapy because it focuses on helping children with their mental health needs.
Childhood is when we form our identities, explore our world, and learn how to interact positively with others. However, sometimes this process can be difficult for some kids who may have experienced trauma or have special needs due to physical disabilities or learning disabilities such as ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder).
If your child has been struggling with any of these issues, then it’s possible they could benefit from CAT services provided by licensed therapists. Our therapists at Positive Reset Eatontown specialize in working with young people from all backgrounds regardless of race/ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, economic status, cultural background, or religious affiliation.
Reasons to Seek Child and Adolescent Therapy/Counseling
There are many reasons to seek child and adolescent therapy/counseling. Some of these include:
- Mental health issues, such as depression or anxiety
- Life transitions, such as divorce and remarriage, death of a parent or sibling, moving to a new school district or state
- Behavioral issues (e.g., aggression) that interfere with functioning at home and/or school and cause distress for the child or others around them
- Family issues (e.g.conflict between parents) that impact how well children do in school
Transgender and Gender Diverse Youth
The phrases transgender and gender-diverse youth refer to adolescents who express a gender identity that is different from the sex they were assigned at birth. This can include children who identify as transgender, non-binary, or gender-non-conforming; however, it also includes young people who may not identify with any particular label but do not feel comfortable with their assigned sex.
These youth often experience challenges related to their gender expression, such as:
- Bullying at school or in the community
- Discrimination by peers, teachers, and/or parents
- Fear of being “outed” by others (including caregivers) if they don’t conform to traditional expectations around how boys/girls should look or behave
- Feelings of shame about themselves because of how others perceive them based on their appearance or behavior–and sometimes even self-harm due to these feelings of shame!
Problems Transgender and Gender Diverse Youth May Face
Transgender and gender-diverse youth may face a number of problems, including:
- Lack of acceptance from family, friends, and peers
- Discrimination in school or at work
Positive Reset Eatontown: the Excellent Choice for Child and Adolescent Therapy/Counseling
Positive Reset Eatontown is a licensed, experienced child and adolescent therapy center. Our staff is trained to provide the best care for your child, whether you are seeking help for yourself or your child. We offer a family-centered approach that enables us to meet the needs of each individual member of your family.
Our services include:
Individual therapy for children and adolescents with:
- Anxiety disorders
- Mood disorders (such as bipolar disorder)
- Trauma/PTSD issues and other mental health concerns;
- Family Counseling
- School consultation
- Group therapy sessions focused on enhancing self-esteem or improving social skills
The Benefits of Child and Adolescent Therapy/Counseling
Child and adolescent therapy/counseling can help your child or teen to:
- Improve their mental health: Therapy can be a game changer for children and teens who are struggling with depression, anxiety, or other mental health issues.
- Deal with difficult life transitions: Teens often struggle when it comes time for them to leave home for college or move out on their own. Therapy can help them cope with these changes and make the transition easier for everyone involved in the situation.
- Learn coping skills that will last a lifetime! Children learn how to deal with stressful situations by watching how adults handle those same situations; this is why it’s so important that you provide an example of positive coping behaviors when dealing with everyday stressors such as schoolwork deadlines or relationship problems between friends/family members (or even pets).
The Role of Parents in Child and Adolescent Therapy/Counseling
The role of parents in the therapy process is an important one. Parents can help their children to feel more comfortable with the therapist, making it easier for them to talk about their feelings and experiences.
It’s also important that you understand what your child is going through so that you can provide support when they need it most. Here are some tips for effective communication:
- Keep an open mind when talking with your child about their feelings and experiences (this includes not judging them).
- Talk with them about how they’re feeling before trying any other methods of dealing with things like anger or sadness; this gives them a chance to express themselves without being interrupted by someone else’s opinion first!
Want to learn more ways of being able to help your child or adolescent advance and thrive? Contact Positive Reset today!